The oil is still here, and so are we! BP must be held accountable and the Gulf must be restored. From the beautiful cypress forests to seagrass beds teaming with fish to the most biodiverse wetlands in the country, the Gulf Coast is a natural treasure. Unfortunately, we lose a football field worth of wetlands every 45 minutes on the Gulf coast and BP's oil drilling disaster is wreaking havoc on the marine and coastal ecosystems our communities rely on. You can help defend the Gulf!
This summer, work with the Gulf Restoration Network to:
- Organize public support for the Restore the Gulf campaign to hold BP accountable and ensure effective environmental restoration,
- Put pressure on government and oil companies to fix Louisiana’s ailing coastal wetlands, and
- Build the movement for a healthy Gulf by recruiting members for Gulf Restoration Network.
Work in New Orleans with potential for travel throughout the Gulf, learn valuable outreach and activism skills, and earn $4,500 to $8,000 for the summer.
To apply, send your resume to
Gulf Restoration Network Job Listing
Outreach Team Organizer
Gulf Restoration Network is seeking an experienced fundraising canvasser to join our Outreach Team. The position will focus on fundraising and developing GRN’s membership and volunteer base while building public support for our campaigns to protect and restore the Gulf.
GRN is an environmental advocacy non-profit that is dedicated to uniting and empowering people to protect and restore the Gulf of Mexico region. BP’s oil is still impacting the Gulf, and the Outreach Team will support work to hold BP fully accountable while calling for greater oversight of the entire oil and gas industry. There are also huge opportunities for environmental restoration in the Gulf, and we need a strong base of public support in order to effectively watchdog restoration spending.
From March to August, the Outreach Team will focus on preparing for and leading a large Summer Outreach Office that will build a staff of well-trained canvassers to conduct door-to-door canvassing and campaign outreach.
- Training and managing a leadership team to help run the office.
- Working with all summer outreach employees to ensure they have the knowledge and skills to be effective advocates and fundraisers for GRN and the Gulf Coast.
- Publicizing job positions, interviewing, hiring and training new employees.
- Ensuring that all employees are safely transported to and from their canvass neighborhoods every day. Dealing with any issues/complications that arise.
- Tracking and working with office budgets.
- Training and organizing canvassers to engage in campaign activities such as press conferences, rallies, and coalition-building.
- Door-to-door canvassing, event canvassing at relevant outreach opportunities, and phonebanking to sign up Gulf Sustainers (monthly donors) and one-time members. Canvassing 3 days a week.
From September to Feburary, the 3-person Outreach Team will continue canvassing along with specific campaign and volunteer-management assignments.
- Door-to-door canvassing, event canvassing at relevant outreach opportunities, and phonebanking to sign up Gulf Sustainers (monthly donors) and one-time members. Canvassing 3-4 days a week.
- Deepen volunteer engagement in our campaigns through leadership development, organizing volunteer meetings, and providing campaign and outreach guidance to activist leaders.
- Building public support for our campaigns by assisting other GRN staff with outreach and event organizing (i.e. recruiting organizational sign-ons to a coalition letter).
- Door-to-door fundraising canvassing and experience required.
- Strong commitment to protecting the environment and to grassroots organizing as an effective method to create change.
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Strong communication skills including public speaking, written, and oral.
- Ability to inspire a diverse group of people.
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to maintain a level head in a fast-paced campaign environment.
COMPENSATION & TRAINING
Salary in the low 20’s and full health benefits, with performance incentives of potentially $3,000-$6,000 per year. In-depth training on GRN campaigns and issues, staff management, and canvassing will be provided.
This position is in New Orleans, LA.
Send a short cover letter and resume to Dan Favre, Communications Director, at
. Phone inquiries may be made at 504-525-1528 ext 209. More info at www.healthygulf.org.