Hold the Oil Industry Accountable
Monitor, document, resist, and reduce the impacts of the petrochemical industry
We hold them accountable in 4 main ways:
- Monitor and report oil industry impacts
- Protect Gulf communities
- Fight for a Green New Deal
- Protect the Eastern Gulf Drilling Moratorium
Monitor and report oil industry impacts
- We set up regular fly-overs to monitor industrial areas, especially after major weather events and disasters.
- We use mapping technology to expose damages from industry in the Gulf region.
- We monitor and provide testimony on air, land and water permits for state and federal regulators.
- We engage in public hearings at the Parish, state and federal level to oppose polluters and their construction and expansions
Protect Gulf communities
- We fight against petrochemical expansion that threatens the wetlands, ecosystems, and communities of Louisiana and Texas.
- We pressure federal and state permitting agencies – leaning on our technical experience as well as our large list of members and supporters – to prevent industrial development that destroys wetlands and leads to human harm.
- We organize with frontline communities who are directly impacted by oil, gas and petrochemical buildout to resist the impact of these industries.
- We advocate for stronger safeguards that protect workers, Gulf communities, and the environment from harm at the hand of the oil and gas industry.
Fight for a Green New Deal
- Act as an anchor organization for Gulf South for a Green New Deal, a multi-state effort to address the impact of the global climate crisis on some of the most unique frontline communities in the US.
- We host the Gulf Gathering, where climate leaders from across the Gulf South convene to build strategies for the year ahead.
Protect the Eastern Gulf Drilling Moratorium
- Work with partners to ensure the Eastern Gulf of Mexico remains free from the destructive impacts of oil and gas exploration and development.